Garage door installation is not as difficult as it sounds. As long as you follow the manual’s directions provided by the manufacturer, it can be completed in just four hours. Keep in mind that larger garage doors are harder to install than smaller residential garage doors.
First of all, many pieces and components can confuse you. There are several parts that need to assemble such as, rollers, hinges, cables, metal tracks, handles, panels, springs, garage door locks, and many more. Reputed garage door manufacturers are now creating user-friendly kits along with simple installation instructions. However, there are still a lot of parts that need to be assembled professionally as long as you read the instructions and follow them religiously, and then you will get more reliable and efficient results. Following mentioned are the simple tips which will help you in garage door installation.
- The first aspect of the project is to remove the old garage door (if you have). It is advisable to hire a professional garage door installer to help you in this regard since there is a tendency that you might be got hurt due to the powerful springs of the existing garage door.
- To make sure that the garage door is operated smoothly it should be aligned properly. The bottom tracks must be parallel and balanced to each other. It is important for the first section to be installed perfectly to maintain the balance of the garage door.
- Make sure that you are using the right hardware recommended by the manufacturer. You will have to pay special attention to the bottom brackets of the garage door. Make sure that they are tightened securely and avoid over tightening them.
- A one-piece garage door is easier to install than others. Make sure that overhead tracks are placed securely and should be balanced perfectly. Any disorder can result in direction and the garage door comes out of the track. It is good to remember that there are several incidents wherein the garage door fell from its track and injured anyone around it.
- The most important and critical part which needs close attention is the installation of springs. If garage door springs are not adjusted perfectly, the garage door will not open or close smoothly or may get stuck at its half path to opening. Make sure that you have installed the springs properly by maintaining the required tension.
Again, hire a professional garage door installer to do this project since the garage door is a large, heavy, and complicated combination of multiple parts. If you are capable of handling it yourself, you will be able to save a lot of money and feeling proud about the achievement and satisfaction of handling the job yourself.
Note: Never try to repair or adjust the torsion springs because they are normally placed under extreme pressure which could make the situation worst. Instead, it is advisable to consult a professional garage door installer to manage the work rather than trying to attempt it on your own.